Fifth grade: Books we love

March 6, 2019

The fifth grade class filled the class bulletin board with books they love. The class recommended new reads to their peers. Some of the students shared why they love to read.
Why I like to read, by Alivia F.
I like to read because it can take you places. Not only can it literally take you places, but it also can take you into the book…

For the full story, read this week’s Lake Benton Valley Journal.

Sixth grade: I Love to Read month

March 6, 2019

love to read DSC_0191
On Friday, March 1, the sixth grade class celebrated Drop Everything and Read Day by dropping everything to read throughout the school day. Logan Miller and Abby Timm are pictured relaxing in some camp chairs while they read.

The sixth grade students participated in several reading events throughout February. As part of the reading celebration, stu­dents wrote why they love to read.
I love to read because it takes me places without having to have a passport near and far…Blake D
love to read because it takes me places where I want to go. I have traveled to different countries when I read… By: Keira L.

Fourth grade’s “Sweet” book reviews

March 6, 2019

The fourth grade class was asked to write a re­view of their favorite books in an acrostic that uses the word VALEN­TINE. The required word could either be used at the beginning of the sen­tences, or in the middle of the sentences. Here are a couple of samples… “The Impossible Quest: Escape from Wolfhaven Castle,” reviewed by Xan­der G…and Bad Kitty vs. Uncle Murray” reviewed by Xavier H…

Come sled the hill with the Chamber and LBVE

March 6, 2019

file sledding 20180217_154733
The big hill at Hole-in-the-Mountain County Park has been a favorite sledding spot for years. Sledders were out riding the hill Saturday before the season ends for good.

By Shelly Finzen
lbvjeditor@gmail.com

Turn those frigid frowns upside down and join the Lake Benton Chamber of Commerce and the Lake Benton Volunteers for Education (LBVE) as they celebrate snow with a community-wide sledding event.
On Sunday, March 10, bring friends and family for a day of sledding and socializing. Free popcorn and hot chocolate will be provided inside the Chalet by the LBVE.

Lions sponsor the Opera House in last breakfast of the season

February 27, 2019

file opera house
The historic Lake Benton Opera House.

By Shelly Finzen
lbvjeditor@gmail.com

Historic buildings require special maintenance and upkeep and the Lake Benton Opera House is no different. In an effort to support their cause, the Lake Benton Lions Club announced that the Lake Benton Opera House will be the recipient of the proceeds from the last breakfast benefit of the season. Join them on Sunday, March 3 for a menu of pancakes, eggs, French toast, sausage, toast, coffee, and milk served from 8:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m.
According to Opera House Board President Mark Wilmes, the interior of the theater was recently painted, and the carpet replaced. The board plans to replace the stage curtains and rigging next. “The money from the benefit will help us pay for those changes,” Wilmes said.

I Love to Read activities at LBE

February 27, 2019

file school board DSC_0042
School board members discussed a new government program sponsored by New Holland. Pictured from left are Board Chair Tony Schwing, Superintendent Loy Woelber, and School Board member Heath Houselog.

By Shelly Finzen
lbvjeditor@gmail.com

The Lake Benton School Board held their regular monthly meeting Wednesday, Feb. 20. Fourth grade teacher Sandy Carpenter was on hand, representing the teachers.
During the public forum, Carpenter thanked the council for adding the staff room on the lower level. “For the first time in three years, I actually had lunch with teachers who work upstairs. It was quite nice,” Carpenter said.

Grandparent Scam has hit Lincoln County

February 27, 2019

phone N1810P64018K

By Shelly Finzen
lbvjeditor@gmail.com

It’s late at night and your phone rings. On the other end of the line is your grandson. He says, “There’s been an accident and I’m in the hospital. I need your help.” What do you do? While the caller could really be who they say they are, they could also be a scammer and you could be their next victim.
According to AARP, this is called “the grandparent scam.”…

Former Community Center inventory will be sold by sealed bid

February 27, 2019

city DSC_0152
The Lake Benton City Council granted a temporary on-site liquor license to the Lake Benton Fire Department to be used for the Gala.

By Shelly Finzen
lbvjeditor@gmail.com

The Lake Benton City Council met for their regular meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 19. All members were present.
A Public Hearing regarding submitting the application to the Small Cities Development Grant program was held…

Over $1,000 raised for the Diner’s Club

February 27, 2019

Lions Club Fundraiser presentation Feb 2019
The Lion’s Club presented a check to the Lake Benton Diner’s Club for $1,436.28, the proceeds from the Pancake Breakfast fundraiser held Sunday, Feb. 3. Pictured from left are Roger Rudebusch, Karen Lichtsinn and Joyce Miller. The Diner’s Club wants to thank the Lion’s Club, the volunteers, board members and the community for their support of our new senior dining program in Lake Benton.

Wilson reports that some county bridges will have new weight limits

February 27, 2019

commissioners DSC_0146
Lincoln County commissioners heard from Environmental Officer Robert Olsen concerning purchasing a camera for investigating tile and drainage lines. Pictured clockwise from left are Robert Olsen, County Attorney Glen Petersen, Joe Drietz, Jack Vizecky, Chair Mic VanDeVere, and Corey Sik.

By Shelly Finzen
lbvjeditor@gmail.com

The Lincoln County Board of Commission­ers met for their regular meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 19. Commissioner Rick Hamer was absent from the meeting.
Environmental Officer Robert Olsen spoke to the board about several top­ics. He requested that the board set the interest rate and length of time for as­sessment on the County Ditch 39 improvement. Af­ter discussion, the board set the rate at four percent over a 10-year period.