34 years of service

January 9, 2020

guy 20191230_131131
Sheriff Chad Meester with Guy Harding, who retired from the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department after more than 30 years in law enforcement.

By Shelly Finzen
lbvjeditor@gmail.com

After more than 30 years of service, Guy Harding retired from law enforcement at the end of 2019. During his years, he served communities in both England and the United States, ending up as a Lincoln County Deputy Sheriff until his retirement.
Harding began serving in law enforcement in England, his native land, beginning in 1985. He worked as an officer there for 15 years before he moved to the United States in 1999. Before entering law enforcement, Harding spent 12 years as a paramedic in a large city. Harding and his wife moved to Lincoln County in 2000.

For the full story, read this week’s Tyler Tribute.

City council pledges help in cleaning ditch on west side of town

January 9, 2020

council01 (6)
Pictured from left are City Attorney Glen Petersen, City Administrator Stephanie LaBrune, Mayor Joan Jagt, and Councilpersons Cricket Raschke, Scott Dressen, Kenny Jensen and Tim Sanderson.

By Mark Wilmes
tributeeditor@gmail.com

City Administrator Stephanie LaBrune reported that she had received a request from Tom Gladis of Gladis Trucking for the city to help pay to clean out a ditch behind his business property. An estimate of $4,000 had been obtained from T.E. Underground of Tyler to do the work. Gladis was requesting $1,000 from the City of Tyler.
“He’s having issues with water backup onto his property and wants to get [the ditch] cleaned out,” LaBrune told the council. “He would like to get it done this winter. He has been working with [Buffalo Ridge Concrete], DeZeeuws and will be talking to the school also.”

Thank you Lincoln County

January 9, 2020

By Violet Nelson
vanelson70@gmail.com

The Salvation Army is an international move­ment, designed to meet human needs in Jesus’ name, without discrimi­nation. It relies on money raised in red kettles and serves more than 30 mil­lion Americans annually and serves the hurting in 130 countries around the world. This year Lincoln County which includes, Ivanhoe, Hendricks, Tyler, Lake Benton and and Arco raised over $1,400.
This is Nona Krier’s first year as bell ringer. “Bev Wilson found out I had just retired from my job at the Hendricks Nursing Home. She called and asked me if I would help out. I guess that was it,” Nona said. “My first attempt was at a Thanksgiving dinner in Ivanhoe.”

Closing out the Christmas season

January 9, 2020

felc04

felc05

The Tyler Arts Council provided Christmas songs, stories and decorations with their 11th Day of Christmas Coffee House Concert on Saturday. The event was postponed from the previous Saturday due to stormy weather.

For more photos, read this week’s Tyler Tribute.

Post-holiday winter storm included snow and ice in our local area

January 9, 2020

ice01
A variety of winter weather has made an appearance over the past couple of weeks.

By Shelly Finzen
lbvjeditor@gmail.com

Following beautiful weather for the Christmas holiday, Lincoln County saw a severe winter storm that dropped rain, ice and snow as it swept across the county. The storm lasted three days and cre­ated travel hazards for many holiday travelers. As the last storm of 2019, the precipitation that fell helped to break several re­cords across the region.
According to the Nation­al Weather Service (NWS), “A major and long-lasting winter storm impacted the region the night of Friday, Dec. 27 through Monday, Dec. 30, bringing peri­ods of moderate to heavy snowfall, wintry mix (rain, freezing rain, sleet) and strong winds. The high­est total snowfall amounts recorded were around 16 inches in parts of Gregory, Charles Mix, and Douglas Counties in south cen­tral South Dakota…

One foggy Christmas Eve…

December 31, 2019

fog06

Heavy fog over the Christ­mas holiday caused travel is­sues with visibility, and falling temps overnight made road­ways slippery. The trade-off was an aesthetically pleasing view outside windows as frost formed on trees and hedges throughout the area.

fog09

Tyler Tribute 2019 Year in Review, part 2

December 31, 2019

speech
RTR Juniors Madison Witte (left) and Dajza Gilmore performing their duo speech that earned them sixth place in state competition.

Check out Part 2 of  2019 Year in Review and see what you have missed or forgotten this past year.

Time to learn about your community club?

December 31, 2019

skiver09
Aebleskiver Day is one of the many events that the Tyler Area Community Club brings to the community.

By Mark Wilmes
tributeeditor@gmail.com

The 2019 Tyler Area Commu­nity Club annual meeting will be held on Monday, Jan. 20 at noon at the Kronborg Inn, with annual kickoff being planned for March. The TACC board invites all area residents to come and see what the organization is all about.
2019 TACC President Rick Dubbeldee will be handing off his position to Hilary Thooft of Johnson Flower Box, with Mark Wilmes assuming the position of First Vice President…

School building walls are being created in South Dakota

December 31, 2019

collins2
The crew at Collins Precast of Iroquois, South Dakota creating walls for the new RTR school building.

By Mark Wilmes
tributeeditor@gmail.com

RTR Superintendent David Marlette was among a group of four who made the trip to Iroquois, South Dakota recently. Iroquois is the home of Collins Precast, the company that won the bid to create the walls that will be installed for the new school building on the west side of Tyler.
“I had mentioned to the people at Collins Precast that I’d like to come out and view the process,” Marlette said in an interview last week. “I was looking to see what kind of quality we are getting. We spent a whole day out there and watched the whole process…

For the full story and photo, read this week’s Tyler Tribute.

KC Free Throw Competition to be held January 10 in Tyler

December 31, 2019

The annual Knights of Columbus Free Throw Competition will be held in the Tyler gym at 4 p.m. on Jan. 10. All girls and boys, ages 9 through 14, are eligible to participate. A participant must be one of those ages on Jan. 1, 2020. He or she then will partici­pate in the age group of his or her age on Jan. 1…